Chiala – Organisation/Association for the promotion of Culture, Diversity, and Development
“Differences are not intended to separate, to alienate. We are different precisely in order to realize our need of one another.”
Desmund Tutu, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, South Africa
Dear friends of Chiala!
In February 2012 the team of the AfricaZentrums Chiala’Afriqas (2003-2011) founded CHIALA as a successor to that organisation.
CHIALA is a meeting place to allow for mutual exchange among people with and without migration experiences.
- offers counselling for migrants in various areas (social and legal matters, living, work, family, etc.)
- organizes creative & anti-racist workshops for schools, youth centres, and adults
- provides access to African art and culture
- does cultural work
- organizes the annual Chiala Africa Festival in Graz
- houses the first African library in Graz
- prepares African food and provides catering
All are welcome!
One of the greatest challenges to a democratic society is the recognition and handling of social diversity. We organise cultural and social projects to promote social contact – the ‘coming together’ of people in all their diversity and individuality.